Kenya to participate in Cecafa Challenge Cup
At a press briefing held at the federations offices in Nairobi on friday morning, Nyamweya said that as senior Cecafa member, they will not pull out of the regional soccer bodybut will petition Cecafa congress to have Musonye replaced as the body’s secretary general.
Nyamweya noted that Musonye had shown a lot of disrespect to Kenyan, despite his status as a senior Cecafa member
‘’We have never had any intention of pulling out of Cecafa. We are ready to play any time if the dates don’t clash ‘’ he said.
He added that as a federation they feel aggrieved by Musonye recent outburst about Harambee Stars head coach .
‘’As a senior member that hosts Cecafa secretariat, we seconded him for the post, but now he has lost our confidence, we are going to petition the Congress to have him replaced.’’
Nyamweya who was flanked by FKF acting vice chair Robert Asembo and NEC member Hussein Terry accused Musonye of having been behind Kenya’s denial of the hosting rights.
‘’From his outbursts and belittling of our coach, it is clear that he was behind our denial of hosting rights even after the special congress sitting held in Seychelles granted us the hosting rights’’
‘’He has severally attacked Kenya in his statements,which have clearly shown that he is completely anti-Kenya.He has embarked on a path meant to bring disharmony between Kenya and other member countries’’
Nyamweya said that the Tuesday remarks by Harambee Stars head coach Henri Michel that the regional competitions were ‘useless’ had been taken out of context.
‘’You all know that our coach doesn’t speak English. The translator might have been lost in translation. What he merely said was that given a choice between CHAN championships and Cecafa, he would choose CHAN because they are more competitive and again the event is Fifa recognised’’
Nyamweya noted that Kenya being a senior member of the Cecafa that also hosts its headquarter in Nairobi will continue to support the regional body and was quick to add that they do not have any problem with the member states.
Musonye was on Wednesday quoted in the press saying that Harambee Stars head coach Henri Michel is incompetent and has failed in his numerous missions in Africa and should not have been hired by the federation.
Stars begin their CHAN campaign against Burundi in December 1 away before a return leg in Nairobi two weeks later.
It now leaves to be seen if Musonye will successfully petition African soccer body CAF to have the CHAN-championship qualifiers dates changed.