You Are Here: Home » politics » At least 50 killed in armed clashes in Libya’s southern city of Al Kufra

At least 50 killed in armed clashes in Libya’s southern city of Al Kufra

Armed clashes in Libya’s southeastern city of Al Kufra on Tuesday resulted in the deaths of at least 50 people and injury to more than 15 others, a member of the parallel General National Congress representing the city of Al Kufra, Sanussi Al Gummi said here.
Al Gummi added that the clashes broke out during the last three days between army units and gangs of rebels coming from Chad and Sudan who stationed themselves in some locations in Al Kufra, cut off the roads to pedestrians, terrorized and killed some people in the process.

Earlier last week, the city and the nearby regions witnessed fierce clashes between local forces and armed groups belonging to Sudanese factions coming from Darfur resulting in the killing of more than 30 people, Libyan local media said.

Libya’s parallel General National Congress condemns the Al Kufra siege and considers it a war crime.

In a statement issued Tuesday, it said those who took part in the siege and those who brought mercenaries are partners and major culprits in this heinous crime.It added that the international community and the African Union must act properly and do their jobs so as to save Libyan sovereignty from the infiltrators.

Signature : APA

© 2009-2016 StarAfrica

Scroll to top
1