Mozambique opposition to submit secession proposal to parliament
The leader of Mozambique’s main opposition Renamo party Afonso Dhlakama has said his proposal for the autonomous republic would be put before parliament, APA can report.”The President believes that Renamo has to submit a preliminary draft law to parliament. The commitment that the MPs there will have to take seriously because that will be a normal draft bill to be submitted by the opposition to be approved and not be rejected by the majority, ” Dhlakama said after meeting with Mozambican President Filipe Nyusi late on Monday for the second time within 48 hours.
Dhlakama met Nyusi on Monday in a series of talks intended the break the political deadlock in the country.
After the first round of talks at the weekend, Dhlakama said his Renamo party would end its boycott of parliament, which has been in force since the new legislature was sworn in last month.
The ruling Frelimo party won 144 seats in the 250-seat assembly, with the opposition made up of 89 Renamo deputies and 17 from the Mozambique Democratic Movement.
Dhlakama and Nyusi met for the first time on Saturday since Renamo protested the Frelimo victory in elections held last October.