No new Ebola case in Liberia – ministry
Liberia’s Ministry of Health and Social Welfare (MOHSW) has said no new Ebola case has been reported in the country since the death of four people from the disease last week.Deputy Health Minister Bernice Dahn told journalists in Monrovia on Thursday that there has been no new suspected case since the deaths in Foya and Zorzor were reported.
She also clarified that the suspected cases from Zorzor involving one death and one hospital admission did not meet the case definition of Ebola.
According to her, the admitted patient is steadily recovering.
Dr. Dahn said samples from suspected persons have been provided to international relief agency Medecin Sans Frontiers (MSF) in Guinea for preliminary examination, and that further confirmation from preliminary findings will be provided from Lyon, France.
The West African regional grouping ECOWAS has expressed deep concern over the Ebola virus after more than 60 people were killed in Guinea’s forest communities of Macenta, Gueckedou, and Kissidougou.
Health authorities in neighbouring Liberia and Sierra Leone have since announced that they are on the alert over the epidemic after unconfirmed reports suggested Ebola-related deaths in those countries.
Ebola for which no reliable cure has been found was first discovered in the Democratic Republic of Congo in 1976.
The disease is contracted through contaminated blood, sweat, faeces, sex and contact with contaminated corpses.