Six killed in Timbuktu suicide attack
A suicide attack on a Malian military barracks in the north-western town of Timbuktu killed six people including two passers-by and four attackers, sources said Sunday.Mali’s national broadcaster said six Malians soldiers were also injured in the attack.
The four suicide bombers reportedly arrived in the town on board a vehicle, which they blew up around 13:00 in front of a military barracks, the governor of the region, Colonel-major Mamadou Manara explained.
According to the governor the four attackers were ‘White’ and they were all blown to pieces by the blast, which also caused a lot of damage to surrounding houses, Mr. Mangara added.
The Special Representative of the UN Secretary-General for Mali and the Head of the United Nations Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in Mali (MINUSMA), Mr. Bert Koenders had earlier in the afternoon described the attack as “unacceptable.”
He added that his organization would continue “to assist the people of Mali and its leaders, in restoring peace and stability across the country.”
This new attack occurs in the wake of a similar one carried out on Friday against a group of Malian soldiers, who were on duty in front of a bank in the north-eastern town of Kidal, injuring at least two people, according to eyewitnesses.
On Thursday, three armed movements suspended their participation in reaching an agreement with the Malian government against the instability in the north of the country, fuelled by various armed rebel groups and Tuareg separatists.